someday, someway



"I can't stand to see you sad
I can't bear to hear you cry
If you can't tell me what you need
All I can do is wonder why
Someday, someway
Maybe I'll understand you

After all you've done for me
All I really want to do
Is take the love you brought my way
And give it all right back to you
Someday, someway
Maybe you'll understand me"
- Marshall Crenshaw

It's a pretty simple ditty, really. And the man still has it (bad audio, but great performance), 28 years after this song's release...which dates my age more than I might care to admit. I've been having a major jones for the Marshall Crenshaw tunes this week; I harbor a very long, secret crush on the man originally based on just the complete pop genius of this one song. But the truth is that if I can turn one of the ten people that read this blog onto some more of his quite underrated catalogue of songs, it's worth a blog post. A couple of friends of mine regularly play this tune plus another Crenshaw-covered classic ("Soldier of Love" - I prefer his version to most) during extended sets of music, and it always makes me smile.

I'm just enjoying the hell out of my Crenshaw craze this weekend and felt compelled to share; at the very least, it'll kick off this coming week on the right note. Quite literally.

Comments

Popular Posts