deliver us from divisiveness

Expatriate: a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country and culture other than that of the person's upbringing or legal residence.

I’ve decided to redefine this term. Yesterday, I took part in the “democratic” process. I remember, fondly, going to vote for the first time; it felt so exciting to be exercising my right to vote and having my voice as a citizen be heard. Thinking about the history of women’s suffrage and feeling privileged to participate. Sound naïve? Unfortunately, it feels like so many in our current culture have forgotten this is a privilege. It’s supposed to be a chance to use logic, intellect, heart and a sense of decency to elect officials who are supposed to be speaking for you.

And that’s what they are supposed to be doing – speaking for YOU, the taxpayer and voter. Their constituent. Not pushing private agendas; not abusing the power they’ve been given; not endangering fellow citizens as they get swept up in party politics. Dirty, dictatorial, damaging politics. If the democratic process focused more on governing – rather than damage control, unchecked ego inflation and personal vendettas – perhaps this disillusioned voter would actually feel that her voice was heard. Just once.

I am an expatriate, living in Indiana. The United States of my youth has turned cynical, more corrupt and less concentrated on aiding her middle and lower class citizens. I am an expatriate, living in a culture that seems blind to its own unchecked ambition. Some will say it’s always been this way – the rich get richer, the poor get desperately poorer. I don’t care where the party line is, it’s leaving an enormous fissure in the fabric of our society. I am an expatriate because my upbringing has been betrayed. I am disheartened and disappointed that before the ink is dry and all the ballots are counted that the rhetoric has moved two years into the future rather than focusing on the enormous responsibility at hand.

I beg you, elected officials, to keep your mind and body in the present rather than focused on your campaigns two and four years down the road. Do your JOB. Speak up, listen to logic and find your moral compass. Just as I voted for the person and not the party, I implore you to embrace the idea (no matter who proposes it) rather than the party mandate. Stand up for what’s right, and not what’s ambiguous. Deliver us from divisiveness and work toward the common good. Do not make me an expatriate in my own country.

Comments

Popular Posts