random

I love the internet. When I need a pick-me-up at work, I like to pull up a blank Google page and type in the most random thing I can think of and see what results come up. For instance, “questionable Mormons” brought up an interesting array of pages and I found myself reading all about the Mormon rebranding campaign “we’re just like you; we’re normal.” And a search for “funky vodka” did not, in fact, bring up reports about how to tell if your vodka has indeed gone belly up (or if that’s even possible) but highlighted some rather delicious-sounding drink recipes.

For all its pitfalls, time suckage potential and overall ability to make me feel like the most normal and boring person on the planet at times, the truth is that I’m totally addicted to the interwebs. It’s like the World Book Encyclopedia for an entirely new generation. Remember encyclopedias? You used to have to look up things in actual books to do research and find out about random factoids from around the world. But you could never just type in your most random thought of the day, such as “where in the world is Fiona Apple?” and get any kind of conclusive results.

And maybe someday, somewhere across the country, some kid is reading about the real things happening in far-off places in the world on a news website or a rogue blog. Now, I’m off to Youtube to watch hilarious videos about kittens or rare live performance takes from dead musicians. Happy roaming…I heartily suggest you employ the One Random Question in the Google search box when you need a good laugh or distraction.

Comments

Popular Posts