you're a mean one, mr grinch

Wow. I know I can be negative and take things for granted from time to time, but I have to say I’ve become hyper-aware of some extra sensitive and downright grinchy behavior lately. I witnessed a seriously rude, condescending jerkface get his comeuppance from an O’Malia’s grocery store employee the other night and started thinking about the many times I witness this type of behavior, especially in a service setting. I am as guilty as the next person for getting irritable in a retail situation when someone seems to be taking out their bad day on me just for walking in the door; and I’m not innocent in this either. I’ve carried my bad experiences in with me.

But there seems to an epidemic going on this holiday season wherever I look. I am the first person to stick up for a customer who’s been treated poorly, but it is never ok to treat someone who is just doing their job as your personal slave for the two- to five-minute transaction taking place. Having performed a stint in retail and service/food industry settings, I am more than well aware that people barely look you in the eye, treat you like a non-person and generally don’t reward outstanding service when received. I am still consistently floored by the fact that the people who check out my groceries or serve me a drink look surprised when I tell them to “have a great day/evening/morning whatever”. You never know what kind of day someone’s having and one kind word from a stranger can turn your whole situation around.

When you’re out and about, stressed out and last-minute shopping this weekend (and from now on), think about the fact that these people hear your arguments, listen to children/grown adults being obnoxious, endure cell phone conversations that prevent them from doing their jobs, and basically absorb all the stress you’re putting out to the world all day and all night long. Most of them do so while biting their tongue and with a smile on their face – they handle your food, pour your drinks, ring up your credit cards, clean your tables. But they are not beneath you, not your slaves and yes, they’re doing their job, but it doesn’t take much to be kind. A server, check-out person, bartender, retail clerk can truly be a friendly asset and convenient ally in your everyday life. At least have the decency to look them in the eye if you’re going to be less then your stellar self.

Lighten up and be kind, especially when you don’t feel like it!

Comments

Cyndi said…
I had a similar experience. A new employee not knowing how to do a transaction for the customer in front me which resulted in a wait of more than 15 minutes to check out. I started to get annoyed, but checked myself. However the guy in front of me who was the next customer after the long transaction started to grill the poor woman on why it took her so long (like there was anything to be gained by making her feel worse about it). When it was my turn I commiserated with her about the long line and she apologized for the wait and seemed generally grateful for the "thank you and hope your evening goes better" as I left. Really takes very little to swing from being an a** to empathatic. Working hard my self to be at least semi-stellar this holiday season :)
side note: i actually witnessed a woman throw two articles of clothing at the face of a check-out clerk in a clothing/home goods store. the reason? when the woman waltzed up to the counter, she bypassed an entire line of people. when the clerk asked her to join the line, said woman threw the clothes (hangers included) at the clerk's face. we were all pretty stunned. and eclipsed my grocery store experience. shame on you, nameless woman, for being so mean to someone who asked you politely to respect that others were also waiting in the same boat as you.

Popular Posts