one-sided conversation

“Because my inside is outside
My right side's on the left side
'Cos I'm writing to reach you now but
I might never reach you
Only want to teach you about you
But that's not you
Do you know it's true
But that won't do
And you know it's you
I'm talking to”

Travis, “Writing to Reach You”

I have a confession. Sometimes these blogs are a direct reflection of how I feel about certain people. That doesn’t necessarily mean that I am targeting others with every turn of phrase, or that I’m even using it as a passive-aggressive method of addressing someone in particular. I assure you, I’ve become much bolder in my intimations and conversations with those close to me. Perhaps a clarification is in order – if you think it’s about you, then it just might be. In all likelihood it is. But I can’t fathom naming names not because I don’t want others to know, but because this is the means of expression I have chosen for myself, and not everyone is comfortable or desirous of airing their inadequacies, successes and failures in a mass-audience format.

Oftentimes, these blogs are merely a public display of frustration, boredom or a means to an end. And much like the thoughts that race up and down and in and out of my head like some Dr. Seussian mindgame, these writings are a manifestation of fleeting feelings and an ever-evolving mindset. What is true today, isn’t necessarily how I will feel tomorrow. And the next day, it may have left my mind altogether. I’ve jokingly referred to this as my form of inexpensive therapy before, but maybe that’s more of an inside joke. Truthfully, I have no idea how many people are actually reading this, and my scribblings aren’t meant to offend – but maybe they can open up more of an ongoing dialogue. And if my often disconnected ramblings can help someone else connect the dots, then it’s all good.

So, much like the lyrics above, I am truly writing to reach you, but at the expense of being coy, “you” may not always be a person, place or thing. It’s that moment when you can articulate and accept that truth that is only yours. But then again, sometimes it is “you” that I’m talking to.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Are you mad at me? ;)

Popular Posts