grand funk hail road

As I sat in evil immovable traffic last Friday trying to keep my cool while vehicle after vehicle stirred up a mini tidal wave of rainwater that pelted my windshield and driver’s side door, I just kept wondering “what is my deal?”. While it’s not advisable to ponder the larger issues of life while the radio plays questionable adult contemporary and your gas tank is low, I often get a lot of my best ideas while I’m not cutting a swath through throngs of urban drivers. But remaining stationary while tiny hail balls bounce off your hood intermittently with water drops does something to your way of thinking.

I chose to give in to the inevitable hour-long, 7-mile drive that awaited me and take a pause to evaluate the funk that I’ve been in for the past few weeks. My inability to get back into “the swing of things” for any length of time could be blamed on the grey days we’ve been having, the steady but not-very-exhilarating work I’ve been throwing myself into or my growing obsession over the amount of money I’ve been shelling out for summer concerts. But the not-so-simple truth is that I’ve been missing the company of a few select friends lately, I recognized the annual passing of my dearest pet and I am hedging on making a significant change to some very deepset behavior.

All these things spring to light at the most unexpected times – even as I sat on the grand funk hail road headed home.

Comments

Popular Posts