just put on lucinda

“Just put on Lucinda, baby, and dance with me.”

Tucked in among my spring/summer of many ridiculous concerts (for which I have now spent enough cash on tickets that would rival a modest vacation out of here), is tonight’s Lucinda Williams concert. At 58 years of age, Lucinda is, in one word, badass. She is the ultimate female rock icon.

Women love her because she sings it straight, there’s no room for bullshit and flowery romance in her songwriting. She has style, a grace that only comes with life experience, and an uncanny ability to tap into that subconscious part of every woman’s brain when it comes to dealing with life, love and the many relationships we all endure over time. She is, in my opinion, representative of my type of hero: the ultimate woman who has brains, unique beauty and a strong sense of self. She has a hard exterior and a gooey center. She’s rough-and-tumble, but often sentimental. She does the best she can and puts that emotion into words and music. She gets it.

“Think you never know me
When you turn and walk away
You think I don't know the troubles
You face everyday
I know all about the things
That cuts you like a knife
Yes I know about the dark side of life
Souls on your shoes are almost worn thru
You've been running hard at best searching for something new
You can search high and low
For peace you'll never find
While you're living on the dark side of life”

- Dark Side of Life

Comments

Dennis said…
she does a good one with Steve Earle

Popular Posts