cover your ears!

This is a rev-up to the recorded letdowns of the year, imho. I’ll post a lengthy blog entry at some point just to give some love to my favorite albums/singles of the year sometime around year’s end/start.

Worst album:

Kings of Leon, Come Around Sundown

This is not because it is the worst recorded album of the year; the list is lengthy as far as that’s concerned – just line up most of the AMA award nominees and you generally have a pretty good picture of where my loyalties tend to veer (minus the deserving few that get nominated and don’t win). For me, this is the biggest letdown because I remember an upstart, visceral, dirty rock band just a couple of years ago that knocked my socks off when I saw them play live and I was so excited for their next album. Last album still had some decent moments, but live performances, random lame tour happenings and unrivalled commercial success took their toll and KOL soon found themselves caught in the mainstream trap.

First lesson they should have learned: do NOT (I repeat, do NOT) invite one of the most electrifyingly great rock acts working to open for you on tour. The Black Keys literally sent a deafening message to KOL at the start of every show reminding them they cannot possibly live up to their caliber day in-day out.

Second lesson they should have learned: you can sell out your stardom (pimp that 15 minutes while you can), but you must never compromise when it comes to your music if you expect to have any kind of career longevity or respect from your peers. You might sell millions of records (Nickelback anyone?) but when you start to let the fire go out, your original fanbase will abandon you.

Final lesson: this is the most whitebread, emotionless, completely nondescript album I’ve heard in a long time. And it’s depressing. KOL, you are a good band. What the hell are you doing? Everything about this album makes me want to stick sharp implements in my ears just so I don’t have to listen to more than 10 seconds of it. This may seem harsh, but you win Worst Album honors from me this year for your complete lack of musicality, credibility and off-putting attitude. And for having done so much better with so fewer resources before this. Use your powers for good in the future; not to make bland, snooze-inducing music that is sure to become even more lame muzak for someone’s answering machine service.

Dishonorable mentions:

Interpol, Interpol
I like this band, but they have lost a few steps and completely lost me with this one

MGMT, Celebrations
Couple a pretty unspectacular album – there was bound to be a letdown after their last one – with what I hear was a pretty bad live local show and they easily make this list

Vampire Weekend, Contra
I’m gonna catch it from some of my friends for this one, but I have to say that I just don’t get it. Grammy noms or no, I argue this as a disappointing effort and no one with indie rock cred can persuade me otherwise. I looked forward to this album and was ultimately let down.

Liz Phair, Funstyle
Really? Listen to the “single” – and I use that term loosely – and you’ll understand. What, exactly, happened here because hell has apparently frozen over for Ms. Phair. She’s never been THIS bad.

I don’t even have the energy to write out how much I dislike the Black Eyed Peas (and any of their "side" project), much less M.I.A., most rappers and generic rock bands. And I (sometimes) hate to kick a band or artist while they're down, but don't even assault your ears if you can avoid any of the above. It's pretty hard to get away from KOL on the radio, but don't subject yourself to an entire album listening session if you can avoid it.

Best of 2010 will be more of a pleasure to write...

Comments

Popular Posts