the big dipper

Right in the middle of “Paranoia in B Flat Major”, my friend turned to me and said, “Hey, look up, you can see the Big Dipper.” On a crisp, clear and completely autumnal evening marking the start of October, I suddenly found my compass bearing. In the midst of a sell-out crowd, the Avett Bros. provided the soundtrack to much larger conversations that spanned the entire breadth of an evening and gave me the lift I’ve been looking for. We were undoubtedly annoying at times, I can imagine, as short breaks between songs would give way to quick conversations about relationships, travel, kitchen cutlery, why we love/hate Ryan Adams, child care, parental visits and next week’s plans.

I love the shorthand that comes in conversations with old friends. You can skip the background, cut through to the relevance of the matter, and cover such a wide array of information in short bursts of rapid-fire commentary. And with the special relationship between women, you tend to run the emotional gamut in record time. I love a long, drawn-out and intense conversation between friends around the table or fire or on the patio, but there’s something about providing the recap, or hitting the highlights that forces you to boil down issues that once seemed complicated into something more simple.

There’s a clarity that comes with that style of conversation. And it generally signifies forward momentum when all of a sudden you can easily find the words to express what your mind and heart have been struggling with. Yes, all of that comes by taking a moment to look up at the sky with a friend in the middle of a rock concert. Isn’t life interesting?

Comments

Popular Posts