alone in this together



I recently had the unexpected pleasure to really listen to and soak in the sound and soul of Star Anna on a recent impromptu road trip up to Chicago/Evanston. A friend of mine suggested we go to the show after hearing them play a handful of songs at the recent PJ20 concert. I'm so glad she did. We arrived at an intimate venue and although I'd listened to a few songs in advance of the trip, I decided to just let myself be surprised with the lion's share of their work.

Little did I know what I was in for. Star Anna and the Laughing Dogs are easily one of the most organic and soulful set of musicians I've seen in quite some time. All of the players on stage had shining moments throughout the set, but the evening belonged to the somewhat shy, young chanteuse at center stage. Singing her heart out while locks of hair covered her face, Star Anna's vocals erupt with a power and presence that is simply lost on many musicians today. There was no posturing or primadonna attitude in the building.

I wish I could keep them as my little secret musical crush right now; but that's not fair to the rest of you. And I'm so glad that I experienced their music for the first time in a live setting. If you have the chance, run right out and buy your tickets to a show. You will not be disappointed.

Comments

Popular Posts