seedless

I cut through an apple this morning and halved it in one swipe. When I grabbed each half to slice it again, I stopped. Struck by an unfamiliar sight. Expecting to find shiny black seeds scattered on the cutting board, I instead found two large, empty caverns. It’s as if someone reached in through some invisible hole and plucked them right out. Nothing. Seedless.

Shortly before I woke up this morning, I had been dreaming about walking the alleyways and tunnels of a European city I couldn’t quite discern. I only know it was European because of the completely crumbling stonework and the background noise of cafes and something that resembled Italian being spoken rather garishly. Since I don’t actually speak Italian, I can only blame this on having watched the first half of Eat, Pray, Love earlier in the evening. But I digress. I was actively searching for something, endlessly traveling from one walkway to another, although I’m not certain what it was that I was looking for.

I’m not generally someone who makes a habit out of reading into “signs”. Yes, I take note if something strikes me as particularly profound, or drives me to come to a sudden realization. And will admittedly tell you that some rather freaky parallels tend to reveal themselves to me often. But what I take from my seedless apple and dream from last night is this: my creative spark is temporarily gone and I’m searching for a way to find it again. This one isn’t hard to figure; I’m pretty exhausted, mentally and emotionally, and it’s creeping into my life outside work rather prominently these days. I know it’s a temporary disruption, as creative energy tends to catch fire and fade like glowing embers at times. While not necessarily worrisome to me in the grand scheme of things, there’s obviously some festering immediate frustration.

The question is, do I sit back and wait for things to spark, or run around and find some flint to make some flame? For now, a few good nights’ sleep and perhaps some more enlightening dreams and portable fruits with missing parts will help guide my way...

Comments

Popular Posts