You can't always get what you want

“You can’t always get what you want.
But if you try sometimes, well you just might find,
You get what you need.”


A nugget of wisdom from Mick and the boys. In my previous blog post, I touched on a subject that has been, well, consuming my thoughts a bit in recent days. As I’m trying to bushwack an ever-evolving path to self-discovery and recovery, I find myself circling around to the concept of letting go. Pretty vague, I know. Whether it’s cleaning out closets and letting go of material things you no longer need or want; letting go of negativity and certainty in favor of optimism and the unknown; or simply being willing to let go of relationships that have run their natural course to make room for new friendships and possibilities.

That last idea might seem a bit cold, but as I’ve expressed before, I believe people float in and out of your life through something like a revolving door. You might be sad to see them go and even fully resistant to their departure, especially when you detect some unfinished purpose to the relationship. But that’s the great thing about the revolving door; it’s always swinging around to let them back in. And taking a moment to remember that they have their own revolving doors and journey to consider, I’m harnessing that hopefulness and remembering that while I can’t always get what I want, sometimes it’s about what I, or they, need.

It’s a precarious and sometimes scary choice to make; and I will admit that this blog post is about me this time. I want something very much, but I cannot have it. And it’s not a question this time of just wanting it enough to make it happen or feeling that it’s run its course; so I have to decide if letting this lovely idea go and hoping that it might circle back to me is something that I can align with. Having had a glimpse of what I want, it seems so difficult to let go of something that feels like it’s a need. Given time and the benefit of hindsight, perhaps I’ll have a different perspective. But it’s infinitely harder to let something go when you wonder what it could have evolved into and feel you might be missing out on something.

I realize the vague wording will lead many of you to draw your own conclusions about what the heck I’m yammering on about; and that’s fine. Speculate away! But the lesson is this: you really can’t always get what you want, but you must always try and leave it all out there because it’s the only way you’ll get what you need. And I remain hopeful, that maybe someday, I’ll be lucky enough to get both.

“All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on.”
– Havelock Ellis

Comments

Popular Posts