slacker

I think I'm beginning to see why that "journal" thing has never fully developed or worked out. The lag time in between entries can only get better from here. Whether that's a bi-product of my brain telling me that I have nothing to say (which is pretty disturbing in its own way) or just pure laziness, I may never know. A combination of the two is most likely.

So, in the spirit of slackerdom, I thought that I would share with you possibly one of the best extended commercial experiences currently airing on television. Let me set the scene - it was approximately 3 a.m. (give or take, who's keeping track?) and the Classic R&B Soul sounds infomercial comes on. It's hosted by Peabo "Somewhere Out There" Bryson, which is unremarkable in itself, unless you count the cheesiest dialogue in creation as a selling point. The best part of this infomercial is the very extensive video footage accompanying all the songs. Whether it's the costumed effects of Billy Paul and Earth, Wind & Fire or the appearance of Marvin Gaye in all his gloriousness, I found myself wanting to buy it and wishing that it all came on DVD with the videos attached. I do love me some feather and sequined stagewear.

CDs currently in rotation as I write this: Rachael Yamagata "Happenstance", Freedy Johnston "This Perfect World", Sloan "Action Pact", Elvis Costello "The Delivery Man", Keane "Hopes and Fears" and a cd I'm about to review by Roger Hoover and the Whiskeyhounds.

*If anyone has a suggestion on something good for me to listen to these days, let me know. I'm in a bit of a loop.

Also just finished reading the book Plantation by Dorothea Benton Frank. Frank is one of my favorite writers now. She writes about the Lowcountry, specifically about the area surrounding Charleston where my brother, sister-in-law and nephew live. She captures that area beautifully, articulately, and truly paints the picture of what life is like there. Also adore Sullivan's Island, but Plantation is a great read. Now I just happen to be delving into a book that's partially narrated by the first-person account of a serial killer in Moab, Utah (where my friend Susan wants to take me the next time I'm out, this one is putting a bit of a damper on the "remoteness" of the area, however).

Take it easy, everyone.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So cool that you brought up R&B today. This morning, I pulled up Michael Jackson's "Off The Wall" album on Rhapsody while I got ready for work. You remember the Michael Jackson from the "Off The Wall" era. Before he truly went off the wall. Before Neverland, before the sequined gloves, before the morphing into Diana Ross. He was truly a glorious artist.

I also played a little Al B Sure, Stevie Wonder, and Johnny Gill. And subsequently had a very good day. Coincidence? I think not.
Heidi said…
Lately, I've been pretty happy listening to anything Lou Barlow, Elliott Smith, Spoon or the White Stripes. Although I am reconnecting with my old stuff. I just got a free iPod (don't ask) and spent the better part of a weekend loading a bunch of my cds onto it. Yea for the Smiths, David Bowie and Midnight Oil!

Popular Posts