and then there were the Nigerian dwarf goats...

You think I'm kidding, but I was at work today (yes, I have a day job, people - don't get too attached to it or frightened for my well-being) and the subject of Nigerian dwarf goats came up. In one sense, it was random, because no one in the office with me would have been provoked on their own to come up with that particular type of animal in any type of context. But I was writing something up for a newsletter that I was editing and this woman, we'll call her...Billy (like that little pun on the goats?), mentioned that one of her hobbies and passions in life was to raise Nigerian dwarf goats and chickens.

Then I realized....I have no hobbies that even remotely sound as weird and freaky as that. I really must do something about my boring-ass habits. About the most exotic thing that I can regularly do is to pick up some Thai, Indian and Tibetan takeout with some imported beer for dinner. Now I don't expect much in the way of weird hobbies in Indiana (although the "Cornhole" craze still has me somewhat baffled - also a topic of discussion at work one morning).

So, tell me your (or your co-workers and friends') weird hobbies and I'll try to perhaps pick one up in the next few weeks and we'll see whether we're not all a little more well-rounded. I'm Audi 5000....

Comments

Patrick said…
1. Alphabetizing groceries.
2. Quieting the voices in my head.
3. Asking people if their refrigerator is running.
4. Self-loathing.
5. Knitting oven mitts for the homeless.

And that's just weekday stuff. Come Saturday, whooo-doggies!
Anonymous said…
i saw four groups of completely random people competing in an "adventure race," (or, lets face it, a grown-up, bastardized scavenger hunt) in Broad Ripple this past Saturday evening. we were drunk; they were bizarre...racing back and forth as we watched and heckled from our front-row seats at Chumley's, their pink, purple, blue and red bandanas flapping...grown men and women panting and yelling obscenities at their own teammates: "dammit, come on Katie! get your ass moving! we're still in 3rd!" i think the "purples" won.

i thought it was strange, yes. but, i also decided that that's a hobby i could really get behind if i was allowed to slurp beer handouts like Gatorade as i rounded every street corner....

Popular Posts