keepin' it corporeal

It’s Halloween week, and while there are more than a few errant (read: intensely philosophical) thoughts running around in my noggin, I find a welcome distraction through zombies, truly sick psychological thrillers, over-the-top blood and gore and classic horror films. But what I find most interesting is getting into an always animated debate about whether or not ghosts, spirits and otherworldly entities are real. If you ask just about anyone in any social setting or party, they will have a story to tell regarding a haunting, a funny feeling or even a strange encounter. Of course, rarely do you find the person that admits to believing in ghosts; and I’m not sure I can admit to that, without having had a physical or fully sensory encounter myself.

What I do find interesting is how most people can make the leap to believe in saints, gods, and all-powerful forces they can neither see, touch nor explain; but when it comes to the afterlife, spirits and ghosts it somehow borders on ridiculous? It seems far less of a leap to me to believe in ghosts and things that go bump in the night - spirits lingering still attached to familiar grounds, evolutionary adaptation or scientific anomalies - than religious tenets and wars of attrition. But that’s just me; and to each his own. At least I know when the zombie apocalypse hits, I’ll be prepared. I won’t be praying and mumbling about the coming wrath in a corner; I’ll be the one with a blowtorch and a baseball bat blazing a path out of town.

Post your weird ghostly encounters or best horror story. Share your favorite scary film moment or best costume idea. Whether or not you believe we share this plane of existence with ghosts or not, take a load off and enjoy an annual viewing of the “Great Pumpkin” or visit a local paranormal landmark. Happy early Halloween!

“For who can wonder that man should feel a vague belief in tales of disembodied spirits wandering through those places which they once dearly affected, when he himself, scarcely less separated from his old world than they, is for ever lingering upon past emotions and bygone times, and hovering, the ghost of his former self, about the places and people that warmed his heart of old?” – Charles Dickens

Comments

Popular Posts