dormancy

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.” – Jack London

I believe the word for the day is this: dormant. I wish I had some sort of inspirational or exciting revelation to impose upon the blogosphere, but the hard truth this week is that I’m feeling pretty uninspired and more than mildly ineffectual. But I think that’s ok. It’s undoubtedly been an interesting few months of reflection and change. And I’m a firm believer that life is about pulling yourself out of your own dormancy and creating your own inspiration.

I’m not surprised by this stagnant turn; I’ve had a lot of varied events and “meetings of the mind” where the anticipation level has been high, and consistently met with enjoyment and making an effort to really savor the moment. So now it’s time to find that joy and contentment in the quiet moments, where being alone with thoughts and pondering future actions can be mused upon without putting too much weight upon them. Allowing thoughts to flit in and out and occasionally light up my brain like a pinball machine.

So I hang back and allow myself to remain dormant for a few more days, hours. And pick things up when it’s right and when I feel compelled to push ahead. Perhaps I’m avoiding something I don’t really want to do, but taking a breath and skipping a beat is just enough of a pause to push me forward.

Tomorrow then, I’ll go after it with a club.

Comments

Molly said…
I completely relate to this and have learned to trust and plumb the dormancy as much as anything else.

Popular Posts