body. mind. spirit.



So, we are officially under a "Shelter in Place" order here in Washington State. And yesterday I went into the office for a few hours to help close down the shop. The experience in its totality is a bit surreal at times - here in Seattle we're in full blown spring. It has spronged. The weather is normal - sunshine and blue skies some days, mild rain on others. The flowers are popping out of the ground and making an appearance in neighborhood yards. The trees are leafing out and bursting with additional blossoms. It's not dark and raining all the time. And all of this feels like a direct conflict with an unseen virus racing through my community.

I'm taking a holistic approach to being quarantined. These are some of the ways that I'm giving my body, mind and spirit what it needs during this time.

Body


I've been doing a lot of yoga. And it feels great. My body is responding, and it also gives my mind a chance to unplug and meditate. I've always found yoga to be restorative, but it's critical to my holistic health now. It's not about new agey bullshit. It's been enormously helpful to me over the years as a means to truly listen to my body, and as a result, made me acutely aware of how I'm feeling, what I need, and my ability to alleviate stress.

Walks and hikes are another way that I access my inner power and peace. Of course there's the benefit of fresh air, sunshine and challenging my body to do my will (why is that hill so steep? can i go a little bit further? what's my limit before i turn around to go home?). There's also the added bonus of watching the landscaping in my neighbors' immaculately crafted yards change, choosing a couple of details to pay attention to, and the relief that comes from pushing my body a bit and feeling my muscles ache. I am lucky to live in a neighborhood with endless routes to take (including gorgeous Lake Washington views), and getting into the mind/spirit part a bit, I try to take a different route or walk down different streets and trails often.

I'm using this opportunity to evaluate what I'm eating, what food waste I'm producing, and the sick truth is that I absolutely love food prep. It's the restaurant worker/line cook/grill cook coming out. I've also re-discovered my love of quick breads and savory baking. More on this in another post.

Mind

This might seem obvious, but I have a reading list. I'm making sure that I shut down my brain and read for a little bit every day. Escapism in a good book is a great distraction. I'm not even going to pretend I'm not binge-watching TV and movies right now, but I'm trying to strike a balance.

Under no circumstances am I turning on the news in the morning or watching White House press conferences. I'm paying attention to official state and local press releases and entities that impact my daily life and keeping tabs on local businesses and unemployment issues. The rest of it can fade into the background right now. I am concentrating on keeping my anxiety levels and anger in check, and listening to national news outlets and federal government platitudes and misinformation conflicts with this. I'm well-informed, but trying to keep my sanity.

Writing. I'm writing again! Obviously you're reading this, so you know I'm writing again. I'm not sure when and what I'll write about, but I do believe that relaying vulnerabilities and admitting I have moments of anxiety can help someone else. I have low moments, and I've always found it therapeutic to write what I'm feeling especially when it exposes me as vulnerable. I used different activities for awhile to manifest my creativity and channel that energy, but here I am again in the weird times we're sharing finding myself at the keyboard.

Spirit

I find that cat snuggles are extremely helpful. Pretty much anytime, not just now. But the (un)conditional relationship I have with my cat Stella is always a source of comfort. Even when we're annoyed with each other. Having that little furrball go bonkers over one of her toys, or listening to her have a chat with the squirrel and birds that frequent our yard always makes me smile. And watching her contort into strange positions while she purrs away on my lap is a huge bonus. We have to work on the morning wakeups, though.

As a single woman living alone, I feel like I'm up to the challenge, but it's tough not being able to see friends and know that it's going to be quite some time before I can safely travel to see my family, who all live across the country. As much as you may wish you had some time to yourself if you have kids or a husband/wife/partner, I assure you it's not easy self-isolating without someone else present. Stella is quite tired of our conversations. Phone calls and emails are great, don't get me wrong, but not being around other people is tougher than usual. I have a significant amount of alone time during normal circumstances, but that doesn't mean I'm lonely. This is something quite different, though. I can't call up a friend to go for a drink, go on a date, wander the shops, catch up with co-workers or visit those closest to me for some in-person interaction.

That said, I'm a self-aware person. And someone who actually likes routines. So, I'm making sure that I include several tasks a day for myself, that I'm sticking to my yoga and walking excursions, chopping vegetables and indulging in elaborate breakfast spreads. I'm sleeping and resting and taking care of myself. I'm extending a hand to my neighbors who can't do the same.

I'm making every attempt to use this time as a moment to recharge. To evaluate the things that drive and motivate me. To check in on my body, mind and spirit in a way that will help me move forward in the aftermath of this unique experience. 

Comments

Popular Posts