51 Female Music Entrepreneurs Share Their Best Advice

Yours truly is quoted in this awesome article pieced together by independent music resourceress Ariel Hyatt. Here is an excerpt that includes me below:

From Ariel Hyatt at CyberPR: Today is my birthday and, each year, I love to take a moment to reflect on the year behind, the state of the music business, and my love for music. I put a call out on the Women In Music List and emailed every woman I could think of and I asked for female entrepreneurs to SHOW THEMSELVES (and show they did) and lo an behold 51 Women heeded my call…

A few months ago, while everyone in the world I know went to SXSW, I took myself to a quiet beach for a few days to think, to write, and to and recharge.

While I was boarding the plane, my friend Marcus Taylor emailed, asking me to contribute a quote for his article “30 Pieces Of Advice From Music Industry Entrepreneurs” I fired it off and thought nothing of it.

During my break, I read Sheryl Sandberg’s ‘Lean In’ and it got me thinking about being a woman in this business. Then Marcus’s article came out and I was the only woman included in it. Oops. A wonderful and telling string of comments appeared and the seed for this article was planted.
Here is the reality: Women are still under represented all over this business and sadly women in the music industry are practically invisible online.

Go ahead…. Google “Females in the Music Industry” or “Women Entrepreneurs in the Music Business”

Among the top hits you will find:
• The Music Industry Discriminates Against Women, Chapter 10 …
• Women in the music industry: chewed up and spat out? | Gigwise
• “Sexism in the music industry ain’t nothing new.” Why aren’t female artists getting their due?
And a few academic papers and theses

The Google image search is even more depressing – you will find Brittany, Gaga, Beyonce, Katy (naked) and Christina….

When I searched for “Music Degree Programs” I instantly found 204 colleges and universities in the US alone that offer degrees. I shudder to think how many young women are Googling “Female Music Executive” only to find Katy Perry’s naked ass (no offense Katy, your butt is great but… REALLY?)

I am delighted to bring you 51 FEMALE MUSIC ENTREPREUNEURS SHARE THEIR BEST ADVICE (PART 1)

Here’s My Advice:

“Shine a light on others as much as you possibly can. Ask how can I help instead of how can others help me, and watch the magic that will unfold.”
Ariel Hyatt
Female Entrepreneur in the Music Business since 1996
Founder Cyber PR, Author and Cheerleader for Musicians
@CyberPR


Be Patient, Be Forgiving
Zoe Keating, Artist, @zoecello
“Remember that the world does not revolve around you. Be patient, be forgiving and be nice to everyone. Say thank you.Be prepared to hear “no” more than you hear “yes” and don’t lose sleep over it. When every door is closed you can always just make your own damn building.

You Must Love What You Do
Andree Kaminsky, CEO/founder SingerExpress.com, @singerexpress
“Believe in yourself! – No really, believe in yourself! Being an entrepreneur is hard. You don’t get true “days off” or “vacations” because you carry what you do with you everywhere all the time. You must love what you are doing or you will not be able to keep the pace in order to succeed. Believing in yourself and what you are building is the key to making it all worthwhile because you can then enjoy the process as well as the results.”

Be Open to Constructive Criticism

Heidi Drockelman, Editor of Indie-Music.com, @HDrockelman
“I’ve been writing artist reviews, profiles and show previews since 1998. Before and during this time, I also worked in radio and marketing. I’ve interacted with hundreds – possibly thousands – of artists, publicists and music industry professionals over the years. All of that experience boils down to the simplest and most logical lessons you can gain when you put your artistry out there for the world to hear: Be open to constructive criticism. Be authentic if you want to connect. Be courteous. Be mindful of how you portray yourself. Be aware of your strongest supporters (and equally aware of others’ agendas). Be grateful for your fans. Be patient when the situation requires it. Be bold when it makes you most uncomfortable. And, above all, be YOURSELF at all times.”

Click on the link below to read some really great advice from a lot of cool women…


Read More/Original Source: http://cyberprmusic.com/2013/06/20/51-female-entrepreneurs/

Also published on Indie-Music here: http://www.indie-music.com/ee/index.php/blog/comments/51_female_music_entrepreneurs_share_their_best_advice

Comments

Popular Posts