100 miles

I had great ambitions to become a Pacific Crest Trail hiker this summer. I blame Wild, a novel by Cheryl Strayed, that somehow made it seem romantic and cathartic and all those things that I was craving at the time I first read it.

After examining the fact that my life is not, in fact, in tatters and meaningless and lacking full definition, I humbly set a new goal. So, for this first summer as a reborn/newbie hiker, I'm hoping to hit 100 miles by the end of September. This feels doable to me for some reason. It also means I have to average 25 miles for the next three months. Which seems slightly unrealistic given the fact that I work during the week and my longest hike thus far is only 5.3 miles. I also should clarify that I mix in a lot of long walks, and while they are technically on trails, I can't classify them as "hikes" even if others do. There is a difference.

But we don't set goals that are easily attainable just to feel the satisfaction of reaching them. At least I don't. I am setting this one to push myself further out on a limb that I want to venture out on, and hoping that this public proclamation will spur me forward. I'm embracing the fact that I'm a work in progress and that means occasionally failing and flailing in the attempt.

So. 100 miles. That's both daunting and exciting. I'll report back on October 1.

Comments

Popular Posts