letting the dust settle

i have come to a few bits of wisdom over the past year. well, more than a few, but some are deeply personal and hardly meant for my nearest and dearest, much less a public blog. the first is this: it seems far more realistic and productive for me to let the dust settle on the start of a new year before i go setting goals and declaring "resolutions".

so here goes. these are some of the things i'd like to DO this year: kayak on Puget Sound, hike in the Olympic Mountains (specifically i'd like to see Hurricane Ridge and the Hoh Rain Forest regions, at least as a starting point), travel to Mexico (i loved it there, and not sure why i haven't been back recently), road trip to Vancouver B.C., participate in a half-marathon, explore different types of cooking (both methods and cuisines), and do everything possible in my power to feel and look good to myself physically. Notice a trend? Because I certainly do.

from a professional standpoint, i have some very realistic and interesting goals in mind that will challenge me creatively and from an organizational perspective. i hold a strong belief that you should not only do work that you enjoy, but engage in projects that challenge you. i have experienced the "challenge" portion for the last several months, but now it's time to dig in and push myself in ways that I enjoy more. and that means getting back to writing and reviewing music in a more direct way. what i do currently is sometimes indirect, and my focus is split on keeping the business running in conjunction with promoting others. i'd like to see that flair and spark return to what i do and work that back into my daily doings.

the next one is more abstract, but something i've been thinking about for awhile now. when i moved across the country last year, i knew that some friendships would wither on the vine while others would thrive. i didn't anticipate the results of this as accurately as i thought i would; in fact, i was surprised by how my departure actually strengthened a few relationships i thought were headed toward an end. i suffer from playing a role that seems to naturally fall in my lap quite a bit - i'm the catalyst, the planner, the one who brings certain groups or friends together. while i accept that, it can be very draining (and occasionally hurtful) to always be the initiator. it also breeds resentment. so, i'm taking the advice of a friend who just wrote to me and intimated that "you shouldn't have to bug friends to get in touch with you." he's right. and i tend to worry or expend a lot of energy to maintain friendships that have, perhaps, run their course or been altered beyond what they once were. so, it's time to see what happens when i stop being the catalyst. at least for everyone but myself. i have a feeling that i'll find out where things stand if i take a step back for now.

so, yes. the dust has settled on the new year, and i'm looking forward with an optimism that i haven't felt for a stretch. there's a warmth being stoked in my belly that i hope to nurture into a bonfire. my journey only began last year; now i'm going to start traveling down the road a bit further.

Comments

Popular Posts