broken shoe straps and server shutdowns

When my shoe strap broke on my favorite new pair of slingback flats at the early hour of 7:45 a.m. (already in the workplace), I knew the tone for the day had been set. Immediately followed up by a server shutdown and computer “update” that caused a fruitless start to the work day, I then stared at the spinning rainbow wheel of death taking the place of my mouse arrow and admitted defeat. Then a funny thing happened…

I “MacGyvered” my shoe strap with a rubber band and two tiny document clips and adjusted my gait to a modified clubfoot-slide to make it down the hallway and stairs. I performed surgery on my MAC, removing helpful “updates” and restoring my previous backup. And I didn’t miss a beat even when yet another eleventh hour print project arrived in my inbox. All this while ranting away about stingy advertisers and writing a volume-length email to a friend.

Will I win any awards for this stellar (if somehow stilted) achievement today? Definitely not. Because the day’s not nearly over, not by a longshot. But some days are just like this. As I hope for a boring “tomorrow”.

Comments

Popular Posts