a 'super' experience

Of all the things I ever thought I would write about or say, this is definitely not anywhere near the top of my list. Many of you know I could truly care less about the NFL or professional football. Most of my friends do care about the sport, or vocalize their allegiance to players and teams, so I am forced to at least maintain a passing interest so I don’t completely check out of the conversation every time it turns to Sunday afternoons or evening games. “Are you ready for some football?” – not really. “Am I ready for a world-class, 10-day party happening about 10 blocks from my house?” – yes.

A little while ago, I kept see-sawing on the decision to either money-grub and take this for every cent I could get my hands on OR embrace the fiasco that was going to take place just down the street from my doorstep. I chose the latter. “Embrace the experience, Heidi,” I told myself. And that’s just what I did.

There has been an electricity in the air well beyond the static wintery-ness of a normal January or February in the city. I have grown up here; lived, worked, struggled and played here. Found my niche in a neighborhood I love here. But I have never seen anything like the past 10 days. This was a memorable and exciting experience that truly cannot be replicated. A visceral exercise in community, and a welcome source of pride as a resident of a city that often confounds me, along with the rest of the nation. I have often wondered why I live here – aloud and to myself. There is a comfort in knowing a place like the back of your hand; and although Indy and I share some secrets and good times, we are also fundamentally different in our makeup.

What I saw this past week, however, and how I experienced it will leave a lasting impression on me for many years to come. First there are the facts: despite a few crowd movement/control hiccups, this was a well-oiled machine come to life – peppered with outstanding examples of true Hoosier hospitality in unlikely places, and an overall event plan that was executed well and evolved when needed. Indy knows how to put on an event; this was no fluke. The accolades and reasons why visitors and residents were able to have a positive experience came down to fundamentals: Indy is a contained downtown district, it is easy to find your way around and everything you might need was well within a 5-10 block radius at the heart of the Super Bowl Village.

And Indy was stunning to look at this week. Putting its best foot forward and dressing itself up in a way that other metropolitan host cities cannot (or wlll not). We were very excited to host this event, and it showed EVERYWHERE! The aerials were stunning. You could not turn around without seeing something Super Bowl-related in your eyeline. And the graphics – oh the graphics – made such a unique and glorious visual impact and enhanced the experience. It was a party; and you dress up for a party.

Some of the other things I was most excited about, which may seem trivial – but this was the most CONNECTED Super Bowl ever, in more ways than just the technological. Organic foods (from which part of the proceeds benefited Farm Aid) were sold for the first time through official vendors. That’s really exciting, and totally in keeping with Indiana’s close ties to the farming community at large. Local restaurants, craft breweries and retail goods were visible, even amongst a sea of NFL licensed product. The Super Bowl Village entertainment lineup was, uh, varied and seemed random upon announcement; but proved to be a hit and provided a good deal of exposure for smaller and local/regional acts. While it would have been easy to get caught up in celebrity sightings (I never did get to see Ryan Gosling, dammit), it was so much more gratifying and interesting to see Giants fans, Patriots fans and Indy residents mixing it up and having a great time together. Not to mention the palpable energy that Jimmy Fallon’s show brought to the party.

The city came together in a way that seems rare and fleeting these days. People were friendly, joyous and interested in seeing and feeling everything the Super Bowl experience had to offer. My hope is that this momentum will continue to carry through to the everyday Indianapolis experience. That people will get excited about daily issues that affect them the same way a one-time sporting event will. Now that the community has forged bonds and inroads to strengthen the infrastructure and social life of Indy, my hope is to see those bonds deepen and evolve over the coming years.

As for myself, I needed a shot in the arm to remember what I enjoy so much about this area and city. It’s a great sendoff, and puts a positive cap to my time here. This week Indianapolis showed up big and proud of what it has to offer and maximized its resources for the nation. Our heart was on our collective sleeve, and we hope you enjoyed yourself and will consider this experience when you speak of Indiana and our Midwestern city counterparts. Indianapolis lacks the brash and jaded attitude that our Eastern visitors are used to; let’s hope the enthusiasm and good will that was on display so visibly will carry momentum through to other cities and towns.

I hope you had a good time here. I know I did.

Comments

Popular Posts