open letter

I am attaching below the email I just sent to the local and national Komen affiliates regarding my decision to halt participation in this year's race. I do not want to impose my views on others, however, and encourage you to donate to whatever organizations you see fit. There is no judgment here; I cannot, however, continue my personal participation after searching my heart. This is not an easy decision for me as I have always participated in honor of those people in my life affected by cancer. To those who have already sent in donations, the money will be used locally and assist funding research. Your donation (and my registration money) are appreciated.


To the staff, volunteers and organizers of the 2012 Race for the Cure and Central Indiana Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure:

I am disappointed, angry and saddened to send you this letter. I recently signed up to raise funds for the annual race again this year. I am an active and longtime supporter (both anonymously and as a race participant) of this cause, championing your efforts over the years to friends, family, colleagues and survivors. I have made this my one and only fundraising cause throughout the year, and have fully enjoyed the process and activities that come along with it.

Here is where the praise ends: I am appalled by the national organization’s decision to stop funding Planned Parenthood efforts nationally and locally. I wanted so much to be able to defend Komen’s position, and all of the great work that has been done over the years. After searching my conscience, however, I can no longer participate in raising funds for an organization that will bow to political pressure and the theological views of a few vs. the needs of many.

Your position has been made clear; and now so must mine. Planned Parenthood is much more than simply an “abortion” clinic. I shouldn’t have to tell you that. And as someone who has used their services in the past (as have the majority of women I have personally known) for basic contraception, information and general health, I see the support and programs they offer as a community necessity, especially for those who cannot afford to pay more or who have been rejected by insurance companies based on income and/or employment status.

Just as your organization has decided to halt funding of Planned Parenthood, I have decided that I must halt my participation for your blatant disregard for an agency that provides integral services for local women’s health. I will be addressing my contact/funding list as such. I will allow them to make their own decisions on where they choose to donate their money, but I cannot personally endorse it. I will be donating my time, efforts and fundraising this year toward the Planned Parenthood of Indiana’s Women’s Health Fund.

Good luck to you in your future efforts, I will be back as a supporter when funding is restored to Planned Parenthood.

Sincerely,

Heidi Drockelman
Specify your donation to the Women's Health Fund at PPIN:
http://www.ppin.org/donate/make_donation.html

Comments

Anonymous said…
how many children do you have?

Popular Posts