Another 5k on the horizon...

I thought I was going to post about this about 5 minutes ago, but my mind took a detour. I'm participating in my second 5k of the year on July 10 and this one will be more special to me because...I'm walking with my dad.

We will be walking in the Little Red Door's Unite 2 Fight Race Against Prostate Cancer, taking place in downtown Indianapolis just a few blocks from my apartment. I wanted to participate in this 5k in particular to show my support for my dad, who for several years has been subject to a number of doctor/urology visits, regular PSA level tests, and multiple prostate biopsies. While he has never been diagnosed with prostate cancer, I can assure you that I hold my breath as I wait for him to relay the results to me nearly every 6 months. My uncle (my father's brother) was diagnosed and treated for prostate cancer. He has emerged with a clean bill of health thus far, and we walk for him as well.

Prostate cancer will affect 1 out of every 6 men in the United States (1 in 3 in the African American community), making it the most common cancer among American men.The goal is to raise awareness and educate people about prostate cancer.

Please join me in supporting the Little Red Door Cancer Agency, a worthy organization dedicated to reducing the physical, emotional and financial burden of prostate cancer for Central Indiana men who can't fight it on their own. Little Red Door offers free prostate cancer screenings, supplies, and education to men in need of help. I consistently hear stories from women and men who have been assisted by the good people who work and volunteer at Little Red Door at a time when they were at their most vulnerable and either couldn't afford treatment or testing, or just needed support when none existed for them.

My goal for this 5k is modest, but if my participation helps to spread awareness or education in any way, shape or form, then it has been worth the effort. Thank you for any small donation you can make to help my reach my goal. Wish me luck!

Donate now

Comments

Anonymous said…
So exciting! Good luck with this one - you're going to rock it!

Popular Posts