life in a ziploc

Normally, I wouldn't go on about how depressing it is to have a real day job, because, well, that's life. But it occurred to me the other day at work (yes, I have a day job now, everyone brace yourselves, we'll see how long it lasts before we all get excited) that I was now living my life out of ziploc bags. Every day, I stuff something into a ziploc bag to take to work for my lunch. Now, if I was a crime scene investigator, ziplocs might be kinda cool, but alas, this is not the case.

So...right now, I have "Alex Chilton" by The Mats blaring out of my computer stereo, and incidentally, blaring out into my backyard, no doubt causing my hip-hop lovin' neighbors to have a fit on their Sunday afternoon outside. Not sure how well The Mats go over with the Colt 45-slugging crowd to my left. I was reading Magnet the other day and they had this one-pager that was dedicated to bands they think will eventually get back together. The Replacements was on the list and it was not a pretty dedication. Which is a little surprising. Somehow, the writer thought it would be a reunion of disastrous proportions. In the wake of the Pixies reunion, I have to disagree. Although some of my friends, who also accompanied me to the Wes Peterberg (that's for you, JR) show a few years back, might lobby that it would suck, me with the stars in my eyes would be grateful to have even one moment of this band back together. They're one of my favorites and I listen to those old songs, think about how The Mats changed the course of my musical leanings when I was growing up and I welcome a comeback. For anyone out there who's heard the latest Tommy Stinson record (released end of '04) knows that the other backbone of the band is going strong and experience rebirth of his own. Food for thought...

In light of my latest television-watching spree, I have to say that "Mr. Romance" and it's Fabioness may have bene replaced by "Craft Corner Deathmatch" as most bizarrely hilarious show on the tube. You see, Craft Corner Deathmatch has the Craft LAdy of Steel, a truly demented host, and some spit-inducing mini-bios (the history of thread, etc.) that steal the show. Funny as hell, it's on the Style Network and is even better when you're blitzed.

The sun just poked its head out of the clouds....I'm headed outside. Talk to y'all soon.

Comments

Patrick said…
I think that might be the point of blogs - to rant about your depressing day job. Just don't use any of the real names or you might get canned. Unless of course, that's what you want.

Oh so much to say about the Placemats. I was one of the fortunate souls able to catch them on their last tour. (I actually saw their 2nd-to-last show, which was interesting, since I thought they had finally established that they were going to play *sober*. Coulda fooled me.) And while I'm sure the tour would do fabulously well, I believe there could be a bit of a fan backlash for all these reunion tours, and it might start with the cranky Mats fans. (Actually, it's probably the cranky MAGNET writers.)

I have no qualms for bands finding a larger audience when they've influenced so many, but some would say it would be only for the money. I hate to say it, because I love the Pixies, but the merchandising of their tour has become a bit of a farce, which is souring the experience for me.

However, if they kept it grassroots, etc., I would love to see them drag their old carcasses back for a tour.

End of rant.

Popular Posts