ex·pe·ri·ence



I've never liked the word "resolution." By its very definition, it's always seemed like a negative or something associated with conflict. You resolve problems, and then you're left with...what exactly?

Instead, I'm taking this opportunity to look at inspiration and aspiration. What can I aspire to in the coming year? Or what can I do to inspire those around me? Those seem like much healthier and needed pursuits, at least in my little corner of life. I prefer to look at my current state as one of welcome change, fortuitous opportunity and infinite possibility. 

Now that we've gotten the big words out of the way, you'll be happy to know that I'm not settling into a new-agey existence; despite my constant sunset/sunrise photo posts on Facebook, reflections on my former path of resistance in the Midwest and my musings on wandering trails through the forests. I feel like I found my basic footing again in 2013; 2012 was a year of flying leaps and friendly goodbyes. 2013 was about moving towards new (amazing) friends, work opportunities, and a rekindled passion for things that have nothing to do with work and everything to do with life. That also meant difficult choices in the wake of exciting new freedoms.

So what's in store for the coming year? I have absolutely no idea. Which might seem scary to some. You see, I've rediscovered that part of myself that prefers not having my life mapped out in front of me anymore. I want experiences. I want personal growth. And I want to be given the opportunity to fall flat on my face (if need be). As long as it's a life on my terms. I don't have to make sense to you. Most of the time I can't even explain my tendencies or hesitations to myself. I'm a total weirdo, and I know it. And I like it that way. And I like myself. You're a bunch of weirdos, too. Don't kid yourself. 

But I aspire to more experiences this coming year. And instead of weighing the pros and cons, finding the "proper" motivation or appropriate time to embark on new journeys, I think I'm gonna just hit the gas when the mood strikes. It's supremely easy to talk yourself out of doing things based on self-created constructs that take the form of duties (work, family, home, social, etc.); what's not so easy is to be proactive and go with your gut when something tugs at you. 

I have some tangible goals for myself, but prefer to look at this coming year without being resolute; determined and fixed. Some of you have told me that I've inspired you by making a break for it and moving to Seattle. And I'm glad that following my gut has brought about a positive reaction in you. But making that move was just the start of a journey that is revealing itself in waves; so I aspire to not be rigid or fall back into old habits. 

I'm not waiting for these experiences anymore; so what are YOU waiting for? It's a valid question, and one that I aspire to ask myself every day of 2014. Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular Posts