backhanded compliment

Are you familiar with this scenario? It goes something like this: “when I asked XXX who would be the best person to take over this (enormously time-consuming, detail-oriented, annoying and last-minute) project, your name was the first one that came up. You know, because you’re so good at what you do.” Uh-huh. That, my friends, is what’s known as the “backhanded compliment”. It's a setup when something foul is afoot.

I assume that the person suggesting this is trying to fluff you up, make it seem like you’re the only person truly capable of completing the task in the time given, however, I’d prefer it if they just cut to the chase and say, “This project is a total clusterf*$!, someone dropped the ball and it’s due in four hours.”

There’s a kind of job security at play here. As long as outside vendors and designers submit their work “press-ready”, there isn’t much danger of an early exit. However, a new strategy that involves being less productive may be my New Year’s resolution. Some days are just like this. And some days spent cleaning up other people’s messes instead of being able to let loose your creative juices are clockwatchers.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I work in that industry. I know what you mean.

Popular Posts