oh the suspense.....

While I should be focusing on getting everything work and shopping related finished up before I head out of town for Christmas, the only thing on my mind truly is......Who is the Carver? If you don't know what I'm talking about, then I'm sad to say you're really missing out on one of the most brazen and beautifully drawn out shows on television - Nip/Tuck. And the Carver storyline is one of the most interesting and perplexing I've seen. The root of the storyline, according to the creator/writers of the show, goes all the way back to the first season, where the thing has apparently been unravelling behind the forefront ever since.

I see a lot of "criticism" from people about this show because it's "violent, sado-masochistic, vain characters are there for shock value". But those are people that aren't really watching the show for what it really is. I challenge this dismissive criticism because the characters are so well drawn out and complex due to not only brilliant writing, but vivid acting (on all counts, from main characters to guest stars to all the patients that walk through McNamara/Troy). There's a reason, after all, that there is such polarization when it comes to hating/liking the characters here. While the terms may sometimes seem outrageous, all the characters are distinctly flawed - and one day likeable and the next despicable. The character of Christian Troy is one of the most unbelievably brilliant on television. He steals the show, time and again, and while the early part of the show may have appeared to focus on the relationship between the two doctors, it has evolved to portray Troy and how his "God-complex, center of the universe" character ties everything together and how the other characters all orbit around him. His evolvement/devolvement as a man is fascinating to watch, all due to the actor himself, who I dismissed before the show as a (very) pretty face who was magnetic, but not necessarily one of the best actors I'd seen. This is his tour de force performance; one that makes me very glad I've seen this show from the beginning. The show is about stripping away the veneer and bullshit, and seeing where the characters live (existentially speaking) and what they're capable of.

I consistently watch this show and say out loud (to no one in particular, but usually the cat), "I can't believe they went there," or "oh my god, he's a pig...he is brilliant." But I am literally to the point where I can barely stand the suspense of waiting to watch this season finale on Tuesday. History tells me that Nip/Tuck plays out the best finale moments of the last few years; and I know the reveal of the Carver is going to leave me unable to process what has happened and/or speak. It really could be anyone, no matter how it plays out, I'm a little sad to see it come to a head because it's been a great ride. But I have a feeling the writers are going to make it worth my while to see what happens next season.

*And, as an aside, one of the more entertaining and twisted marketing maneuvers involves the MySpace "profile" and blog of the serial killer Carver character. Brilliant.
http://www.myspace.com/thecarver

Comments

Popular Posts